You can use either Meyer lemons or regular lemons. Note: I have to say that I made this cake tonight and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. It was very tart. I would either decrease the number of lemons or increase the sugar to compensate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put whole lemons in a large pot over high heat, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium and simmer until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain; transfer to a bowl of ice water. When lemons are cool, cut into quarters and gently remove seeds, retaining as much juice as possible. Whirl lemons in a food processor until they become a smooth, thick puree.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F The original recipe said to butter and flour a 9-inch pan with a removable rim. When I made it, there was far too much batter for my 9-in. tart pan. I used a 12-inch pan and still had a little extra.
- 3In a food processor, pulse almonds until nuts resemble coarse cornmeal. Put in a large bowl and add 1/2 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- 4In another large bowl, beat together egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale yellow. Stir in lemon puree and almond extract. Add almond mixture and stir to combine. Stir in candied ginger. Set aside.
- 5In another large bowl, beat egg whites to form firm peaks. Gently fold egg whites into batter. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- 6Bake until edges of cake begin to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 1 hour. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- 7In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to make a glaze. Spread glaze over cake. Garnish with lemon slices.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Tea Cake
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.7
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 76.2 mg
- Sodium 137.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 23.0 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: