Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother once won a contest with the bread recipe. It is very good.
Make and share this Lemon Tea Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Cream butter and 2 cups of sugar with lemon rind.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with milk.
- Squeeze about 1 TBSP of juice from the lemon into batter for better flavor.
- Bake in greased loaf pans in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Mix 1/2 cup of sugar and juice from the remaining lemons.
- Pour over bread while hot, then cool completely on a wire rack.
This is a great cake, excellent with blueberries added, too. (Toss them with ~1/4C of the flour and they won't sink to the bottom.) Be sure to pour the glaze over the cake before removing it from the pan! Also I pierce it with toothpicks first, pour slowly so that most goes into the middle of the cake, and let it cool in the pan as it is kind of gooey. Lovely cooked in a bundt pan. I can't get good cheap lemons here but have found a terrific substitute, Lakewood pure lemon juice. It's fresh squeezed and doesn't have the skunky flavor/smell of ReaLemon. Keeps for a year in the fridge. I add 1T per loaf to the batter to sub for the rind.
Hi, I made 1 loaf by cutting the recipe in half and putting only 1/3 cup of butter. It came out great.
What a wonderful recipe. The lemon flavor is really nice and not overly tart, but the bread isn't very sweet at all. I was able to get 16 mini-loaves from the recipe and took a wooden skewer and poked holes into each loaf before brushing over the sauce. One hint...I didn't remove them from the pans until after I had brushed with the glaze and it was a bit difficult to get the loaves to release. Next time, I'll remember to remove from the pans first, poke the holes, and then brush on the glaze. Phenomenal recipe! Thanks for sharing.