Recipe by Kimke
My mother once won a contest with the bread recipe. It is very good.
Top Review by firefly68
This is a great cake, excellent with blueberries added, too. (Toss them with ~1/4C of the flour and they won't sink to the bottom.) Be sure to pour the glaze over the cake before removing it from the pan! Also I pierce it with toothpicks first, pour slowly so that most goes into the middle of the cake, and let it cool in the pan as it is kind of gooey. Lovely cooked in a bundt pan. I can't get good cheap lemons here but have found a terrific substitute, Lakewood pure lemon juice. It's fresh squeezed and doesn't have the skunky flavor/smell of ReaLemon. Keeps for a year in the fridge. I add 1T per loaf to the batter to sub for the rind.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, rind of, grated
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and 2 cups of sugar with lemon rind.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with milk.
- Squeeze about 1 TBSP of juice from the lemon into batter for better flavor.
- Bake in greased loaf pans in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour.
- Mix 1/2 cup of sugar and juice from the remaining lemons.
- Pour over bread while hot, then cool completely on a wire rack.