Recipe by DailyInspiration
Recipe is from Bon Appetit magazine. A lovely dessert for your holiday table; however, it is a very rich dessert. Prep time does not include chill time.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 103.53 ml unsalted butter, chilled (cut into pieces)
- 29.58 ml vegetable shortening, chilled (cut into pieces)
- 44.37 ml ice water (or more)
- 414.03 ml fresh lemon juice
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 14.79 ml lemon peel, grated
- 177.44 ml unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 340.19 g package fresh cranberries
- 177.44 ml water
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml orange peel, grated
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 118.29 ml pure maple syrup
- 29.58 ml crystallized ginger, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust: Combine flour, sugar and ground cinnamon in processor. Using pulse button, cut in chilled butter and vegetable shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3 tablespoons ice water and process until moist clumps form. If dough is too dry, add more ice water by teaspoonfuls. Gather dough into ball. Flatten into disk. Wrap dough tightly in plastic and refrigerate 1 hour. Let dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling.
- For Filling: Combine fresh lemon juice, sugar, eggs, egg yolks and grated lemon peel in top of double boiler over simmering water (do not let top of double boilers touch water). Whisk until mixture is thick and thermometer measures 160 degrees F. , about 13 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat. Gradually add butter, whisking just until melted. Refrigerate lemon curd filling until cold, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 15-inch round. Transfer dough to 11-inch diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Gently press dough into place; freeze 15 minutes.
- Line crust with aluminum foil. Fill crust with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 15 minutes. Remove beans and aluminum foil and bake until crust is golden brown, piercing with fork if crust bubbles, about 25 minutes. Transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Pour lemon filling into prepared tart crust. Cover and refrigerate until filling is set, about 3 hours. Transfer to platter. Cut lemon tart into wedges and serve with sauce.
- Cranberry-ginger sauce: Combine cranberries, 3/4 cup water, sugar, grated orange peel and ground ginger in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until cranberry skins burst, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to processor. Add maple syrup and process until almost smooth. Stir in chopped crystalized ginger. Cover and refrigerate overnight.