Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lovely as a dessert for a dinner party.
- 500 ml cake flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g cold butter, cubed
- 80 ml caster sugar
- 2 extra-large egg yolks
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 50 ml ice water
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 270 ml caster sugar
- 2 peel and juice lemons
- 250 ml cream, cooled
- glazed lemon slice
- caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC and spray a deep 25 cm loose-bottomed tart tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the dry ingredients in a food processor and add butter.
- Process the mixture to the consistency of fine breadcrumbs and add the yolks, vanilla essence and water.
- Mix to a firm pastry, adding a little flour if necessary.
- Cover with cling wrap and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll out on a floury surface and cut to fit the tart tin.
- Press the dough lightly to the sides and put in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm- this prevents the dough from shrinking during baking.
- Prick the dough and line with baking paper.
- Fill with dried beans (right to the edges) and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further eight minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 140ºC.
- Meanwhile make the filling.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, peel and juice together and allow to stand while the crust bakes.
- Put through a sieve.
- Beat the cream until it forms soft peaks and beat in the egg mixture.
- Pour the filling into the already baked dough and bake for a further 60-65 minutes until set, (It will be slightly wobbly but will set when it cools down.) Cover the pastry edges with foil if browning too quickly.
- Allow the tart to cool and decorate with glazed lemon slices and caster sugar.