Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Nice to gift wrap and put into a fruit basket. This takes 1-4 weeks to infuse flavors. Can be doubled.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a heat and simmer till sugar is dissolved.
- Put into 2 quart glass jar.
- Add tarragon and lemon.
- I use the jars with a rubber seal.
- Close jar and store in dark cool place for 1-4 weeks.
- Give a shake every couple days.
- When desired strength is reached strain through layers of cheesecloth.
- Heat vinegar to 180 degrees.
- Ladle into hot sterile jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace add fresh sprig of tarragon and lemon peel.
- Place 2 piece caps on.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water canner.
This vinegar becomes almost syrupy. A very nice herbal flavour with citrus and the sweetness make for a rather unusual and delicious vinegar. I made a vinaigrette for a leafy green salad - wonderful! I can imagine marinating chicken and/or pork in this with great results.