Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from The Lyle's Golden Syrup Cookbook, 2008, which was given to me by one of my Cookbook Swap partners! Although you might want to make a substitution, the one great ingredient in this recipe is the GOLDEN SYRUP!
FOR THE PANCAKES
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 medium eggs
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 9 ounces mascarpone
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
FOR THE SYRUP
- 1⁄2 cup golden syrup (Lyle's brand)
- 2 large lemons, juice & zest of
- FOR THE PANCAKES: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt & sugar.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together milk, eggs & melted butter, then add this to flour mixture & gently whisk together to make a thick batter, but do not over mix ~ It will not be totally smooth.
- Lightly coat a large, heavy skillet with a little oil, then heat over a low to medium setting before dropping batter in by NOT MORE THAN 1/4 cup measures.
- Cook over low to medium heat until a few bubbles appear on the surface & the underside is golden, then flip them over. Continue until all the batter is used up, & keep pancakes warm under a layer of aluminum foil.
- FOR THE SYRUP: Meanwhile, put the golden syrup, lemon juice & lemon zest in a small pan & gently warm the mixture.
- On 4 warm serving plates arrange the pancakes in a stack, spreading Mascarpone onto the first pancake & topping that with a layer of whole blueberries! Add another pancake & another layer of Mascarpone & berries, & end up with a 3rd pancake on top!
- Add the finishing touch by drizzling a generous amount of lemon syrup over the top!
Although I could not find the Lyle's syrup, I bought store bought syrup,left out the salt too, but these made for some fluffy pancakes, for DW, and I this morning. I have never had lemon pancakes before, and was pleasantly surprised and delighted by the outcome. Made for New Zaar tag..