Recipe by ballarat
A special favourite. The secret to making this bread special is in the second step. Make sure you beat the eggs, sugar and melted butter until really thick and creamy... And also use really ripe bananas!
- 56.69 g butter
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml banana, mashed ripe
- 1 small lemon
- 236.59 ml plain flour
- 236.59 ml self raising flour
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 59.14 ml sugar, extra
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter gently. Do not have the melted butter too hot as it will cook the eggs when added to them.
- Add to sugar and eggs and beat well until thick and fluffy.
- Add banana and grated rind of the lemon and beat thoroughly.
- Sift flours, salt and bicarbonate soda together.
- Add to creamed mixture.
- Spread evenly in greased and floured loaf tin.
- Bake in a moderately slow oven at 150 degrees centigrade for 50 - 60 minutes
- When loaf is ready, take out of oven and leave in the tin.
- Stir 1/4 cup sugar extra together with juice of the lemon and extra rind if desired in a small saucepan until sugar is melted. This step can be done in a microwave.
- Pour syrup over warm loaf in its tin when just out of the oven. Make sure syrup glazes top surface and drizzles down the sides.
- Leave to cool and for the syrup to be absorbed.