Recipe by grandma2969
a cookie from my childhood...but they do gradually soften upon standing...so best to freeze and thaw as needed!!
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 2 large finely grated lemons, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- LEMON CURD:.
- in a medium heavy nonreactive saucepan, combine the eggs and egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and butter.
- Bring to a full boil, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat.
- Boil for 1 minute, whisking constantly; it will be fairly thin.
- Remove from heat, whisk for 30 seconds more.
- Let stand until cooled to warm. Strain the lemon curd through a fine sieve into a medium bowl.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate until chilled and thickened, at least 1 1/2 hours.
- The lemon curd may be refrigerated up to 4 days.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease several baking sheets or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, with electic mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until very light and fluffy. Add the egg, 1 tbls water, the vanilla and lemon juice and beat until thoroughly incorporated.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat in half of the flour mixture.
- Gradually beat or stir in the remaining flour mixture until well blended.
- Shape portions of the dough into generous 1 1/4" balls with lightly greased hands.
- Place on the baking sheets, spacing about 2 1/2" apart.
- Using your thumb or knuckle, press a deep well into the center of each ball, take care not to break throught he dough, or the lemon curd will leak out during baking.
- Place about 3/4 tsp of lemon curd into each well, mounding it slightly.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time in the middle of the oven for 10-13 minutes or until lemon curd is bubbly and the cookies are lightly browned at the edges. Reverse the sheets from front to back halfway through baking -- to ensure even browning.
- Transfer the sheet to a wire rack and let stand until the cookies firm up slightly, 1-2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to wire racks.
- Let stand until completely cooled.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days. The cookies may be frozen for up to 1 month, but will be soft rather than crisp.