Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Basic recipe for popovers except the oven is cold when the baking starts, you don't open the oven and you don't beat the mix--gently stir. High rising with soft insides and crisp outside. Lemon & sugar are added to batter. Serve with lemon sugar butter.
- Melt margarine in microwave medium bowl.
- Add eggs.
- Add milk. Whisk all together.
- Add flour, salt, lemon juice and sugar or Splenda.
- Gently stir with a spoon until mixed. There will be small lumps.
- Spray each muffin cup with Pam.
- Fill each muffin cup 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Put in oven.
- Turn on oven to 450°F.
- Note: If you use Splenda individual packets you will have 8 to 10, if you use powdered sugar you will have more batter, 12 or more.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. The popovers should be between light brown and dark brown. Will be soft and fluffy inside, with a nice small & large holes to add lemon sugar butter inside.
- Note: If you use Splenda packets you will have less batter, 8 to 10. If you use powdered sugar you will have more batter, 12 or more.
I'm not going to rate this recipe as I changed some ingredients, which may have affected results--I used vegetable oil instead of margarine and almond milk instead of regular milk. Not sure this is a true popover recipe, but there were plenty of yummy "holes" inside as promised, and the springy texture was a nice change from regular muffins.
These were divine! We love popovers...and the flavor of these were really something special. Used splenda option and loved every bite!