Recipe by icetea
Provided by: Taste of Home "The combination of cream cheese and tart lemon is wonderful."
Top Review by Rosa_Gnostica
I have been using this recipe for years. People always ask me for the recipe, and ask if it's a family secret. Even people who dislike cheesecake or lemon meringue pie, rave over this pie. You should DEFINITELY try it. :D
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep-dish pastry shells
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 4 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipped topping
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; add remaining sugar. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring if desired.
- Gently stir in lemon juice (do not overmix).
- Cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Do not stir.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Fold in whipped topping and lemon juice. Refrigerate 1/2 cup for garnish.
- Spread remaining cream cheese mixture into shell; top with lemon filling.
- Chill overnight.
- Place reserved cream cheese mixture in a pastry bag with a #21 star tip; pipe stars onto pie.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- cooking time is not include cooling time.