Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I made these cookies for Stephen and Kelly to sell at their lemonade stand. Gee, how long ago was that now? ;) They were gone in a flash. Tart and sweet, all at the same time. Brings back wonderful memories. (These are slightly different from some others here on Zaar.)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream together butter and shortening.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg, lemon juice and rind.
- Combine the remain ingredients together and gradually add to the creamed mixture. Blend well.
- Form dough into 1-1/4” balls. Press lightly.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and cool.
A good cookie. It came out slightly crispy, but still a little soft in the middle. I didn't have a lemon to zest (usually don't), so will use 2 tsp lemon juice next time. I was going to take a picture, but the kids got to the cookies first.
Simple, delicious recipe. Of course I had to mess with it. I used 1/3 cup butter and omitted the shortening. I doubled the lemon juice and zest, and added 1/3 cup blueberries. The blueberries should have made up for the lost volume from the shortening, but I only ended up with 20 cookies. I'll make the balls on the small side next time! These held up great in the fridge and had a lovely texture. YUM!
These were very good little cookies. I really liked the texture and they were so pretty. I was hoping for more lemon flavor, and even added double the lemon juice. I will make these again - they were simple - but perhaps a little lemon flavored icing next time. Thanks for posting!