Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
From Cooking Light's 1990 Annual Cookbook. These use less margarine and sugar than most recipes I've seen. The lemon flavor is provided via lemon extract and lemon rind. Prep time includes the 1 hour of freezing.
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-calorie margarine, plus
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie margarine
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Cream margarine; gradually add 2/3 c sugar, beating well at medium speed with an electric mixer (reduced-calorie margarine will separate while beating).
- Add egg and lemon extract, beating well.
- Combine flour, lemond rind, cream of tartar, soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating until well blended. Cover and freeze dough 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place on cookie sheets that have been coated with cooking spray. Flatten cookied slightly. Sprinkle cookies evenly with 2 tbl sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.