Prep 30 mins
Cook 56 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemons, rind of
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 1 pint ripe strawberry, reserve 5-6 whole and slice the rest
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raspberry jam or 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam, melted
- mint sprig (for garnishing)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenhit.
- In the meantime, keep a 9" pie plate ready.
- For making the crust, mix flour, sugar and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add oil and milk.
- Stir till you have a crumbly mixture.
- Scatter the mixture evenly in an ungreased pie plate.
- Press edge into a plain rim.
- For the lemon filling, mix sugar, flour and lemon peel in a large bowl.
- Whisk in egg yolks, lemon juice, butter and milk until well blended.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted.
- Fold into lemon mixture and pour into crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes till the top is golden in colour.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 days.
- Upto 8 hours before serving- Arrange sliced berries on the pie beginning at the outer edge and leaving a 2 1/2" circle empty in the center.
- Fill the circle with reserved whole berries.
- Brush sliced and whole berries with the melted jam.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Garnish with mint sprigs.
This turned our good when I cooked it for the 35 residents at the assisted living place where I work on weekends, but the recipe neglected to include the amount of lemon juice used. I guessed at half a cup, but it did not set up extremely well. Other issues this morning was an electrical outage for over 3 hours that put me slightly behind schedule.
This recipe sounds divine! Sadly, I'll have to wait until next summer to make it as we are very near the end of our summer and the strawberry season is nearly finished. So roll on next summer! Also I've spotted quite a number of your recipes while cruising around recipezaar and they are all very mouth watering - and I'm really looking forward to trying some of them out. Bye for now,Karin.