This recipe is from Coup de Pouce, is healthy, no sugar added, only 90 calories per square. See note on bottom of recipe.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened creamy applesauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (obtional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1⁄2 cup light cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Cake: In a bowl, with a mixer, beat butter until light. Add splenda and eggs, and beat for 1 minute. Add applesauce, lemon zest, vanilla and yellow food coloring and beat until mixture is homogeneous.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, folding delicately. Spread the dough in a greased 8 inches square pan. Cook in center of a preheated oven of 350 F for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Put the pan on a rack and let cool.
- Icing: In a bowl, with a mixer (clean), beat cream cheese and splenda until creamy. Add lemon zest while beating. Spread the icing on the cold cake. Cut in 16 squares.
- Notes : you can add 2 tablespoon of ground flax seeds. This recipe can be doubled and put in freezer (without icing).