Recipe by Elly in Canada
A family favourite, we all love lemon squares these are extra yummy! Source: an old newspaper clipping, from ????
Top Review by Mommy2two
These are fantastic! I have been wanting to make lemon squares for quite a while, and when I found this recipe with candied ginger in it I had to give it a try. It tastes wonderful--not too "lemony"--just the right combination of sweet-tart. I added more zest than the recipe called for and that hasn't hurt them at all. I didn't have dessicated coconut so I used regular sweetned dried coconut--it made them a little more difficult to cut, but nothing too bad. I used the zest of 2 med. lemons (as well as a little lime zest I had on hand), but only about 1 1/2 lemons worth of juice.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
LEMON GINGER TOPPING
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄4 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
- icing sugar, for decoration
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl or food processor combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture starts to hold together.
- Press mixture into bottom of 8 or 9 inch square baking dish lined with parchment paper or make sure it is well buttered.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with sugar until light and creamy.
- Mix flour with baking powder and stir into egg mixture.
- Add lemon peel and juice,coconut and ginger, stir well.
- Pour topping mixture over baked crust, bake for 20 minutes in 350 degree oven until just set.
- Cool on rack. Cut into squares. Dust with icing sugar, if desired.
- This will yield approximately 25 squares,depending on how you cut them.
- Serve and enjoy!