Recipe by annbb
Wonderful bar-like cookies that form a crunchy layer on the bottom and a chewy layer on top. They are delicious! They were originally called "Lemon Cheese Squares" tho I can't fathom why considering the fact that there's no cheese in the recipe! I found this in the cookbook "Private Collections: A Culinary Treasure". Miss Hortense Reit is the recipe's author. If you like lemon, you'll LOVE this! Yum!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon microplaned or grated lemon, rind of
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon microplaned or grated lemon, rind of
- powdered sugar, for top
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Blend the butter, flour, powdered sugar and lemon peel.
- Spread in a 9 X 9 inch UNGREASED pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients, (not the powdered sugar), and pour over the baked mixture.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar of the top when out of the oven.
- Loosen the sides with the sharp point of a knife.
- Let the cake cool and then cut it into squares.
- These can be refrigerated, but should be removed about 1/2 hour before serving to bring to room temperature.