Recipe by Jellyqueen
a lighter version.
Top Review by PaulaG
I tagged these because of the lovely photo that Toni had made of this dish; however, I failed to read her review. I looked at the review done by Amis instead. I had some of the same problems that Toni experienced. The crust did not pour. I had to pat it in place and then it pulled away from the sides of the pan which meant when I poured the lemon filling on top some of it ran under the crust. Next time I will be sure and read all the reviews. I hate to rate low but this did not work for me.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons lowfat margarine (*Note)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (**Note)
- 1⁄2 cup egg beaters 99% egg substitute, plus
- 2 teaspoons egg beaters 99% egg substitute (***Note, Divided)
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh lemon rind, divided
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- *NOTE:Original recipe used 1 T butter, softened.
- **NOTE:Original recipe used 1 T canola oil.
- ***NOTE:Original recipe used 2 lg egg whites, divided.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Lightly coat an 8 x 12" or 7 x 11" baking pan with cooking spray.
- In small bowl, stir together 1 C flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In mixing bowl, beat together 1/2 C sugar, lowfat margarine.
- (butter), oil, egg white and lemon rind (zest) with electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in dry ingredients until blended and crumbly.
- Note: Mine never did get crumbly-- it was a batter.
- Press dough in an even layer in baking pan.
- Note: I just poured it.
- into the baking pan.
- Bake the crust 15- 20 min or until it is puffed all.
- over and browned around the edges.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 C sugar, 2 tsp lemon zest, lemon juice, egg, the flour and 1/4 tsp baking powder; whisk until smooth.
- Pour evenly over hot crust and bake about 14- 20 min longer, or until set.
- Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and dust with.
- confectioner's sugar.
- Note: I omitted the confectioners sugar.