Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I grew up with this recipe. It is very reliable - I have never had the "upside down" effect with this recipe, where the filling sinks to the bottom and the crust rises to the top.
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the first four ingredients (coconut, 1 cup of flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt) in a large bowl.
- Cut in - using a pastry cutter or large fork - the butter or margarine until the mixture is crumbly.
- Gather the particles and, with lightly floured fingers, press evenly and firmly over the bottom and 3/4 of the way up the sides of a 9"x9" pan (pyrex works best).
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour over crust and continue to bake until set - approximately 20 minutes. Cool in pan on rack, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar once cool.
Thank you so much for this great recipe. I made bars and they disappeared from my Shabbat table in seconds. I want let you know that there is only one reason I signed up for food.com - just to be able to thank you.