Recipe by Kishka
I grew up with this recipe. It is very reliable - I have never had the "upside down" effect with this recipe, where the filling sinks to the bottom and the crust rises to the top.
Top Review by Ermoza B.
Thank you so much for this great recipe. I made bars and they disappeared from my Shabbat table in seconds. I want let you know that there is only one reason I signed up for food.com - just to be able to thank you.
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the first four ingredients (coconut, 1 cup of flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt) in a large bowl.
- Cut in - using a pastry cutter or large fork - the butter or margarine until the mixture is crumbly.
- Gather the particles and, with lightly floured fingers, press evenly and firmly over the bottom and 3/4 of the way up the sides of a 9"x9" pan (pyrex works best).
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour over crust and continue to bake until set - approximately 20 minutes. Cool in pan on rack, and sprinkle with confectioners sugar once cool.