Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The best you've ever had. Bake time includes 20 minutes to pre-bake the crust.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix thoroughly, flour, butter and confectioners sugar.
- Press into 8x8x2" pan building edge up to 1/2".
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Beat remaining ingredients till lite and fluffy.
- Pour over hot crust.
- Bake about 25 minutes or just until no imprint remains when lightly touched in center.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
- Cut into squares.
These were pretty good but a little too sweet and rich at first. I think I'm getting used to it though. And I keep going back to them. I think it is a good sign. :)
I have been baking these squares for many years. When my daughter was 6 years old I bought her a 'Charlie Brown' cookbook, it contained a recipe called Lucy's Lemon Squares, this same recipe!!! DD always made them for Grandma when she came to visit us. I usually add a teaspoon of finely grated lemon zest to the topping, deeeelicious!!