Recipe by EastCoastKate
From the Barefoot Countessa. A colleague of mine brought these into work one day and I couldn't stop raving about them. I couldn't eat just one (more like three or four). I hope you will enjoy these as much as I do!
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 extra-large eggs
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed.
- Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball.
- Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9x13x2 inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2 inch edge on all sides.
- Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on an oven rack. Leave the oven on.
- For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until set.
- Let cool to room temperature. Cut and dust with confectioners' sugar.