Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Courtesy of pastry chef, Anna Olsen .... these are the best selling treat at her Toronto bakery! The cooking time includes cooling.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons whipping cream or 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350 F; butter and line the bottom of a 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, salt, cornmeal and icing sugar; cut in butter until the texture of coarse meal (dough will be crumbly).
- Press dough into pan and bake for 15-18 minutes, until it just begins to colour around the edges; allow to cool.
- Filling: Whisk together all ingredients for filling until smooth and pour over crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set and a crust is visible on top of the squares.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes, then chill for at least 2 hours.
- To Assemble: cut squares and serve, dusted with icing sugar.
It was too tart and the filling had a weird consistency. I don't know what I did wrong.
I made these tonight but made the crust on a food processor, easy to put together, I was lucky to get a taste of these, they flew out the door with my son and his fiance. Delicious and slightly creamy, verrrrry tart! thanks for sharing... this is a wonderful recipe for lemon bars!...Kitten:)
amazing dessert for formal or informal nights. always a hit at a party. medium difficulty, sweet but not overly-sweet and not just another chewy pastry.