Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a old, but lovely pie recipe 8)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 lemons, juiced & rind grated
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 unbaked pie shell (8 or 9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the sugar and flour; add lemon juice and rind, egg yolks, butter, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Stir in milk.
- Beat the egg whites until firm; fold into batter.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake 10 minutes, reduce temperature to 350°F; bake 30 minutes, or until pie springs back from light touch.
- Cool on rack.
I made this for my MIL for her birthday -- I knew it was a favorite but I'd never tried it or made one before. She let me taste the finished pie and it was outstanding. I really like the way it separates into cake-and-custard-and-crust layers. I will definitely make it again.