Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- lemon, rind of, , grated
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat egg whites until foamy and gradually add 2 Tbsp of the sugar; continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Beat the yolks with the balance of the sugar until thick and light.
- Add flour, rind, juice, milk and butter and beat until blended.
- Fold into the egg whites.
- Pour into the pie shell and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- This rises somewhat during baking but then sinks a bit with cooling.
- When I was a child 50+ years ago and my maternal grandmother knew I would be visiting, she always prepared this favorite pie.
Hi, This was good. I took the advice of the last person and put less sugar in and used a 1/2 tsp of granulated lemon rind. Leanne
One of my PAC picks Spring 2007 We (the three of us at home) found this to be a little too sweet and not tart enough for a lemon pie. It was ok and should I make it again I'll use less sugar TFS