Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From a cookbook, I've had for years--and one I've used so much, it is falling apart. I'm putting my favorite recipes here for safekeeping. This recipe has a cake-like topping with a lemon custard underneath.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine sugar and flour in mixing bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice and rind.
- Beat in egg yolk, then melted butter.
- In a clean bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg white with salt until fairly stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg white into lemon mixture until no streaks of white show.
- Pour into pie shell and bake 35-40 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned and puffy.
- Cool about 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve warm or cold.