Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
The Toronto Star always publishes the most amazing recipes. Here's a lovely lemony berry cake. The Star got the recipe from the Los Angeles Times. You'll need 6 4-inch individual tart pans with removable bottoms.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 pint blackberry
- 12 small blackberries, for garnish, divided
- 6 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter individual tart pans.
- 3Carefully rinse blackberries and pat dry. (Set aside the 12 berries for garnish).
- 4Puree the half pint of berries in a food processor or blender until smooth, then strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer; discard seeds.
- 5Stir 1 tbsp sugar into puree, set aside.
- 6In a large bowl, stir together flour, cake flour and salt and set aside.
- 7In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with 2 1/2 tbsp sugar until thick and lemon-coloured.
- 8Stir in lemon zest and vanilla.
- 9In another bowl, beat 3 egg whites along with cream of tartar to soft peaks.
- 10Gradually beat in 3 tbsp sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 11Quickly fold beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- 12Fold in flour mixture until just combined.
- 13Quickly fold in melted butter.
- 14Divide mixture evenly among tart pans; gently smooth tops.
- 15Place tart pans on baking sheet.
- 16Bake about 15 minutes until cakes are lightly browned and set in centre.
- 17Cool on wire rack, then remove from pans.
- 18In small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water and remaining 3/4 cup sugar.
- 19Cook over medium heat until syrup reaches 238 F on a candy thermometer.
- 20Remove from heat.
- 21Beat remaining three egg whites to form soft peaks, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- 22With the mixer running at medium speed, add syrup in a slow stream.
- 23Continure beating until meringue is cool and stiff peaks form, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 24Place cakes on a baking sheet.
- 25Divide meringue evenly among cakes and spread over the top (or the meringue also can be spooned into a pastry bag with a large round tip and piped over the cakes).
- 26Place cakes under the broiler until edges are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 27To serve the cakes, garnish each with a couple of blackberries and drizzle a little blackberry puree around each cake.
- 28Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Sponge Cake With Italian Meringue and Blackberry Puree
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.1
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 115.9 mg
- Sodium 116.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 40.2 g
- Protein 6.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: