Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
The Toronto Star always publishes the most amazing recipes. Here's a lovely lemony berry cake. The Star got the recipe from the Los Angeles Times. You'll need 6 4-inch individual tart pans with removable bottoms.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
When I see a recipe with this many steps in its making, I usually shy away from it, but in this case, I'm glad I didn't ~ This was FANTASTIC, & I use the past tense 'cause it's all gone! This great combo of lemon flavor with the berries couldn't be more satisfying! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Please Review My Recipe cooking game]
- 1⁄2 pint blackberry
- 12 small blackberries, for garnish, divided
- 6 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter individual tart pans.
- Carefully rinse blackberries and pat dry. (Set aside the 12 berries for garnish).
- Puree the half pint of berries in a food processor or blender until smooth, then strain the puree through a fine mesh strainer; discard seeds.
- Stir 1 tbsp sugar into puree, set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cake flour and salt and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with 2 1/2 tbsp sugar until thick and lemon-coloured.
- Stir in lemon zest and vanilla.
- In another bowl, beat 3 egg whites along with cream of tartar to soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in 3 tbsp sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Quickly fold beaten egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in flour mixture until just combined.
- Quickly fold in melted butter.
- Divide mixture evenly among tart pans; gently smooth tops.
- Place tart pans on baking sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes until cakes are lightly browned and set in centre.
- Cool on wire rack, then remove from pans.
- In small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water and remaining 3/4 cup sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until syrup reaches 238 F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat remaining three egg whites to form soft peaks, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- With the mixer running at medium speed, add syrup in a slow stream.
- Continure beating until meringue is cool and stiff peaks form, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place cakes on a baking sheet.
- Divide meringue evenly among cakes and spread over the top (or the meringue also can be spooned into a pastry bag with a large round tip and piped over the cakes).
- Place cakes under the broiler until edges are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- To serve the cakes, garnish each with a couple of blackberries and drizzle a little blackberry puree around each cake.
- Serve immediately.