I found this in an old Nebraska 4-H cookbook the other day. It's wonderfully moist! I would suggest to maybe put a little more lemon juice than suggested (I LOVE lemon!) or maybe even grate a little lemon peel into it. I made a powdered sugar icing with more lemon juice to drizzle on top. The family really liked this one and I'm definitely going to make it again.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites (SAVE THE YOLKS) and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup of the sugar and beat until very stiff. Do not underbeat. Set aside.
- Beat yolks until blended. Add remaining 1 1/2 cup sugar and beat until blended. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the cold water.
- Fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites. Add the lemon juice and mix it in gently.
- Bake in an ungreased tube pan 60-70 minutes at 350 degrees. Invert and cool completely before removing from pan.