Recipe by zeldaz51
A nice twist on the good old bean pickles. Pack the beans into wide-mouth pint jars lying on their sides to make it easier. Having these on hand makes it easy to make three-bean salads. From "The Complete Book of Small-Batch Preservation".
- 2 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 lb green beans, washed and trimmed to fit jars
- 1 lb yellow beans, washed and trimmed to fit jars
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 3 slices lemon rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vinegar, water, salt, and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add beans, cover, and return to boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat and drain, reserving brine. Return brine to saucepan and bring to boil once more.
- Remove hot prepared jars from canner and place 1 teaspoons pickling spice and 1 strip lemon in each jar. Pack in beans and pour boiling brine into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process filled jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.