Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 59.14 ml water
- 1 package yeast
- 236.59 ml warm milk
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 73.94 ml butter or 73.94 ml margarine, softened
- 29.58 ml poppy seeds
- 14.79 ml grated lemon, rind of
- 4.92 ml salt
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 9.85 ml ground nutmeg
- Place warm water in large, warm bowl.
- Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved.
- Stir in warm milk, 6 tablespoons sugar, butter, poppy seeds, lemon peel, salt and 2 cups flour; blend well.
- Add eggs and remaining flour; stirring until smooth.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Stir batter down.
- Grease 18 muffin pan cups.
- Spoon batter into cups, filling half full.
- In small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon sugar mixture evenly over each cup.
- Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F.
- for 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from muffin cups; cool on wire racks.
These are great and so easy to make! They have the flavor of a muffin, but the texture of a really light roll. I did use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour instead of all 3 AP flour. I also substituted lemon juice for the 1/4 cup of water. The puffs had a nice light, lemony flavor. I will definitely make these again. Thanks!
These are nice, spicy, not so sweet, sweet breads. I think the nutmeg is the predominant flavor. They didn't seem very lemony to me, so I may increase the amount of zest a little next time. Still very nice, and would be a good foil for a nice jam or applebutter. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.