Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Cooking time includes cooling time.
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- With a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder, coarsely grind the lemon zest, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon, allspice and peppercorns with the lemon juice to form a paste.
- In a 1-cup metal measure or very small metal bowl, stir together paste and oil. Set the measuring cup or bowl on a baking sheet and cook in lower third of oven for one hour.
- Cool on a rack for 30 minutes.
- Line a small strainer with several layers of cheesecloth and strain oil into a glass jar.
- Covered loosely and refrigerated at all times, flavored oil keeps for one month.
This is very subtle. I might add more lemon zest next time. This will be good for sauteing vegies, or for roasting asparagus.