Recipe by Annacia
Found on northafricancuisine.com. It sounds delicious and offers a unique way to roast a chicken. In the original recipe the chicken was skinned but I think that would make for a very dry chicken, on the other hand the marinade would be a lot more effective if the skin was gone. To skin or not to skin, the choice is yours.
- 1 medium chicken
- 1 1⁄2 lemons
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (optional but I'd use it)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the garlic, crush or squeeze it in a garlic press, place it in a small bowl.
- Squeeze lemon adding the juice to the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt, black pepper, and chilli powder(if using) and mix well.
- Split the bird down the breast, in the original recipe the chicken was skinned but I think that would make for a very dry chicken . Open the bird outwards and flatten it as well as you can without pounding it. Place the chicken on a ovenproof tray.
- Use a pastry brush or a spoon to apply a half of marinade mixture over the chicken leaving the other half for later.
- Place the chicken under the oven's grill (400f, 200c, gas mark 6) or any grill will do.
- Grill for 10 to 15 minutes then turn the chicken on the other side, brush the rest of the marinade on the chicken.
- Return it to the grill for another 10-15 minutes, or until it is well roasted,.
- When the chicken is ready serve it with any sides that you wish.