This is an excellent and very flavorful recipe adapted from "The California Heritage Cookbook". I've never had anyone not like it. Any steaky fish should work. The avocado butter is a marvelous accompaniment for any barbecued fish, especially swordfish or salmon.
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 8 small swordfish steaks or 4 large swordfish steaks, cut in half
- lemon wedge, to serve
- parsley sprig, to serve
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup avocado, mashed
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large ziploc bag. Add swordfish steaks. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours, turning a few times.
- To cook, place fish on a preheated broiler pan. Broil 5-6 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- You may also barbeque this. If you do brush it with the marinade often.
- Serve hot with avocado butter, lemon wedges and fresh parsley sprigs.
- Avocado Butter:.
- In a small mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer until soft and creamy. Beat in remaining ingredients.
- Place in a decorative dish and refrigerate until firm and ready to use. A melon baller works great to scoop out balls to place on the hot fish.
This recipe is a KEEPER! The Avo butter esp. was so immensely easy and tasty, wicked smooth, and my new fave. Given the way it cuts the sat. fat it is going to be my "go to" holiday butter from here on in. Made a double batch to freeze for the upcoming festives.
I am definetly going to try the exact recipe when I have the proper ingredients on hand! Used lime, and lime zest. Olive oil, coarse dijon mustard, and Cod instead of Swordfish...rebel brat am I.
Personal P.S. I wasn't looking esp. for YOUR recipes (I still say Ree Cypes in my head; thanks for THAT!) only for good fish recipes. I was halfway through the marinade (don't tell my mom her laptop was on the kitchen counter.) when I saw Freddie Cat! A marked testament, I feel, to your contribution. How cool is that!
This has become my go-to recipe for entertaining. It is flawless and so delicious. My only comment is that the avocado butter makes too much to use for only one meal - I would cut the portion in half.
This was so good! Even after reading the reviews we decided to make the whole butter recipe because it was our first time making this however they were right way too much butter, next time-and there will be a next time, I will make 1/2 of the butter recipe. Very tasty.