Recipe by Erindipity
My mother thinks the original recipe for this cake came from Southern Living, however it is not listed on their website. The cake gets a wonderful crispy crust on top that is amazing. We have it every Fourth of July with strawberries and whip cream.
Top Review by YungB
Erin, Erin, Erin, this is a wonderful cake. Everything is perfect with it, the crust, the flavor, the moistness, the crumb. WOW. Check this out: I put the butter/shortening in a large bowl, then I reached for my hand mixer...guess what...I can find the paddles to my hand mixture anywhere. We spent over an hour looking for them everywhere. In the end, I gave up and made this pound cake beating it with a fork and yet it came out like I said BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for posting it. Still can't find the darn paddles anywhere:(
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease and flour a 10" tube pan.
- Cream butter and shortening. Gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine sour cream and milk, stir until smooth.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Add sour cream mixture and flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 40-45 minutes or until tooth pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan.