Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
My mother thinks the original recipe for this cake came from Southern Living, however it is not listed on their website. The cake gets a wonderful crispy crust on top that is amazing. We have it every Fourth of July with strawberries and whip cream.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease and flour a 10" tube pan.
- Cream butter and shortening. Gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine sour cream and milk, stir until smooth.
- Combine flour and baking powder.
- Add sour cream mixture and flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately. Begin and end with the flour mixture. Mix just until blended after each addition. Stir in extracts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 40-45 minutes or until tooth pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan.
I made this cake for my mom and dad's birthday. It looks so much better on the computer than it did when I made it!:) I think if I would have made it with an extra stick of butter in replacement of the crisco it would have came out alot moister. And I suggest that if the cakes still seems wet after cooking for about 1hour and 20minutes on 325 degrees, to turn the oven down to 300 degrees and allow it to finish cooking so that it won't dry out.
Erin, Erin, Erin, this is a wonderful cake. Everything is perfect with it, the crust, the flavor, the moistness, the crumb. WOW. Check this out: I put the butter/shortening in a large bowl, then I reached for my hand mixer...guess what...I can find the paddles to my hand mixture anywhere. We spent over an hour looking for them everywhere. In the end, I gave up and made this pound cake beating it with a fork and yet it came out like I said BEAUTIFUL. Thank you for posting it. Still can't find the darn paddles anywhere:(
I have made this a number of times. Love lemon! Is an easy recipe to follow and everyone seems to love it!