Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 min
This is a mousse in the Scandinavian tradition of making dished with sweetened sour cream. This is a light dessert after a heavy cream laden meal. In keeping with Scandinavian tradition a bright red color is very often used to accent a light colored dish, so serve this with fresh strawberries or raspberries.
- Pour the sugar into a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers work the zest into the sugar,.
- Pour the ice water into separate bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top.
- When the gelatin has soaked through, microwave on low for 1 minute. (Don’t let the mixture boil or it won’t be usable).
- Beat the egg whites with the salt in a large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Add the lemon sugar mixture 1/3 at a time and beat into a glossy meringue.
- Beat In the gelatin and the lemon juice until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate until set about 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil a 2 quart mold or 8 individual molds.
- Beat the cream cheese and sour cream until light and fluffy.
- Gently fold the cream cheese mixture into the chilled meringue mixture, thoroughly.
- Pour the mousse into the mold(s).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours,.
- Serve cold, garnished with mint and berries.