Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Next to Creme Brule, souffles are by far my whole family's favorite dessert. We love to try different versions like this one. You can substitute blackberries or raspberries if you can't locate hard to find frozen boysenberries.
- 6 teaspoons seedless boysenberry jam
- 24 frozen boysenberries or 24 blackberries or 24 raspberries
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh lemon peel
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter six 3/4 cup ramekins; coat with sugar. Spoon 1 tsp jam and 4 frozen berries into bottom of each ramekin. Place on baking sheet.
- Mash lemon peel and 1/2 cup sugar in heavy medium saucepan; whisk in cornstarch, then milk and yolks. Add 2 tbsp butter. Bring to boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil until thick pudding forms,, whisking constantly, about 1 minute. Transfer to large bowl; mix in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in medium bowl to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar; beat until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into warm lemon pudding. Spoon mixture atop berries; fill to top. Bake until puffed, set, and golden around edges, about 14 minutes.
- Sift powdered sugar over souffles and serve.