Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I have not made this recipe.
- 1 envelope plain gelatin
- 2 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Sweet 'n Low, bulk divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- In small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over 1 cup water; let stand 5 minutes to soften gelatin.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar and 1-1/4 teaspoons Sweet'N Low.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until gelatin and sugar dissolve completely.
- Pour into large bowl; add remaining water and lemon juice.
- Chill until syrupy, about 2-1/2 hours.
- Beat egg whites with remaining tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon Sweet'N Low until stiff but not dry.
- Fold into syrup mixture with lemon peel.
- Pour into aluminum loaf pan or rectangular baking pan.
- Cover with foil and freeze 2 hours or until frozen 1 inch around edges.
- Spoon into large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Return to aluminum pan, cover and freeze 3 hours.
- Transfer to bowl and beat again.
- Return to pan, cover and freeze until firm, several hours or overnight.
- To serve, let sorbet stand at room temperature about 15 minutes for easier scooping.