1/3 Photos of Lemon-Soaked Ginger Pound Cake
1 hr 25 mins
Dona England's Note:
From Pie in the Sky food blog. She got the recipe from The Cake Book by Tish Boyle. You can get ginger spread (ginger puree) from the gingerpeople.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temp
- 2 tablespoons peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger, puree or 3 tablespoons candied ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2grease and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
- 3Sift together in a large bowl: flours, ground ginger, baking powder and soda, salt.
- 4Set Aside.
- 5Beat butter in a separate bowl until light and creamy about 2 minutes.
- 6Gradually add the sugar at medium high speed until the mixture is light in color and texture, about 3 minutes.
- 7Beat in one egg at a time, beating 30-40 seconds after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- 8Beat in the grated ginger, crystallized ginger or puree, lemon zest and vanilla extract.
- 9At low speed, add the sifted mixture in three additions, alternating with the sour cream ( or creme fraiche) Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.
- 10Bake the cake 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert the cake onto another rack.
- 11Slide a baking sheet under the cake to catch the glaze drippings.
- 12While the cake is baking, combine the lemon juice and sugar in a small, nonreactive saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, just until sugar is dissolved.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14Using a pastry brush, dab the syrup generously all over the surface of the warm cake, allowing it to soak in before reapplying.
- 15Use the whole pan of soaking syrup.
- 16Dust the cooked cake with confectioners sugar.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Soaked Ginger Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 573.0
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 143.5 mg
- Sodium 241.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 48.9 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: