Recipe by MarieRynr
These whisper crisp cookies are delicious. By using a cut glass bottomed tumbler instead of a plain one to press the cookies down you get a simple, elegant snowflake imprint in the cookie tops. In keeping with the snowflake theme you can dust the tops of the finished cookies with a little icing sugar and edible snow coloured glitter.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1⁄3 cup flavourless canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, for shaping the cookies
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar, plus
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar, for garnish
- 1 large egg
- 1 large lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 34 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- white edible glitter (or clear) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease several baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Stir together the flour, soda, tartar and salt.
- Cream together the butter, oil and sugar until well blended. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes until lightened in colour.
- Add the egg, lemon zest, juice and extracts. Blend well.
- Beat in the dry ingredients one half at a time until evenly incorporated. Dough will be soft, but let stand for 5 minutes or so to firm up slightly for easier handling.
- Put 2 Tbsp of granulated sugar into a saucer. Lightly oil the etched bottom of the glass tumbler (or salt shaker, small bowl or vase) making sure to coat all the grooves.
- With lightly greased hands form small portions of dough into 3/4-inch balls.
- Dip the top of each ball into the granulated sugar and place on the cookie sheets, sugar sides up, about 2 1/2-inches apart. Press down on cookie tops until design is imprinted and cookies are flattened to about 2-inches in diameter. (You may need to wipe sugar off glass peridically and re-oil)Garnish cookie tops with edible glitter if using.
- Bake one sheet at a time in the upper third of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies are barely firm in the centers and faintly tinged with colour at the edges. Remove from oven, wait 2 or 3 minutes, then remove from cookie sheet to wire racks to finish cooling.
- Lightly dust tops with a little icing sugar to finish off. Let cool completely.
- Will keep in airtight storage at room temperature for up to 10 days or can freeze for up to a month.