Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A crunchy-style cookie, that is so rich, buttery and lemony. (Note: plan ahead, the dough needs to be refrigerated for 2 or more hours).
Top Review by Engrossed
It's true these are more cakey then crunchy but I think Kittencal is referring to the nuts for the crunch. I've made similar cookies before so I knew they would be soft. I chopped whole almonds fine in my blender. I increased the sugar to 3/4 cup. I let them sit overnight in the refrigerater. These were a very nice mildly sweet and mildly lemon flavored nutty cookie. They disappeared very quickly at work! Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar (or more for a sweeter taste)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped almonds
- icing sugar, for rolling
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl; cream butter, sugar and egg until blended.
- Add lemon juice and zest.
- Combine flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; stir into creamed mixture; add in the almonds.
- Cover, and refrigerate the dough for 2 hours or overnight.
- Roll into 1-inch balls.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned (the cookies will not brown on top).
- Remove immediately to wire racks; cool 5 minutes, then roll in icing sugar.