Recipe by Leilani
This cake is easy to make, but takes some time. My mom use to make this for holidays and special occasions. It makes a delightful slice of light lemony cake with whipped cream frosting. You can make the cake up to two days in advance of serving and it makes a beautiful presentation. The number of steps to make this recipe might seem overwhelming, but I have separated each step to make the process less confusing.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 (10 ounce) angel food cake
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 (4 ounce) package shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 3 quart bowl with 2 pieces of wax paper, one on top of the other.
- Let each piece extend over the opposite edges of the bowl, so all edges are covered.
- The paper will be wrinkled.
- Set bowl aside.
- Cut angel food cake into 1" cubes and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 5 minutes to soften.
- Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in granulated sugar, salt, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice and peel.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until partially set and mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon.
- In a large bowl, whip 1 pint cream until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold gelatin mixture into whipped cream.
- Spoon a small amount of lemon mixture into bottom of the prepared bowl to cover bottom.
- Scatter several pieces of the angel food cake over lemon mixture.
- Continue alternating lemon mixture and cake until all is used.
- Cover with plastic wrap and foil.
- Refrigerate 1-2 days before serving.
- Before serving, invert bowl onto serving platter. Carefully remove bowl and wax paper.
- In a small bowl, whip 1 cup cream and powdered sugar until stiff.
- Frost top and sides of molded cake with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle top and sides of cake with coconut (if desired) and garnish with a lemon rose or mint leaves.