Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe is from my mother's collection and is torn out of an old Ladies' Home Journal. It must be from the 60's...I wish I could show you the great hair flip on the woman with pearls making this. Did all our mother's wear dresses and pearls to cook in?
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 (1 1/3 cup) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups angel flake coconut (the recipe calls for a can)
- Combine graham cracker crumbs with 2 tablespoon of the sugar, and melted butter.
- Press mixture on bottom and sides of lightly buttered pie pan.(the recipe calls for a refrigerator tray but I don't have a clue what that is).
- Beat egg yolks until thick.
- Combine with condensed milk.
- Add lemon rind and juice gradually, stirring until thick.
- Stir in 1 cup coconut.
- Whip egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually beat in rest of sugar, then beat until stiff.
- Fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into tray (pie pan)
- Sprinkle top with remaining coconut.
- Chill in freezer until firm about 4 to 6 hours.
My DH loved this. I used ginersnaps instead of graham crackers (cant get them here) and also desicated coconut as I was not ablt to find angel flake coconut. But everything else I followed exactly and it turned out perfect. Easy to make and such a great lemon flavour. Such a lovely light and cool dessert, will be perfect for summer! Thanks for a great recipe Mary.
I halved the recipe and made these as individual tarts with jumbo muffin tins. I got 4 beautiful desserts. Simple to make, and ready in no time. Thanks for posting.