Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe from the Company's Coming cookbook 150 Delicious Squares. I love graham crackers, and I think they really go well with the lemon.
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 egg yolks
- juice and rind of one lemon
- 3 egg whites
- 1 handful graham cracker crumbs
- First layer - Crumble first 3 ingredients together until mealy and press into ungreased 9x9 pan. Bake 10 min at 350°F.
- Second layer - In double boiler combine second amount of sugar, flour, water, egg yolks, lemon juice and grated rind. Cook and stir over boiling water until thickened.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into hot thickened mixture. Spread over cookie base.
- Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake in 350F oven for 3 minutes or until set. Cut into 36 squares.