Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Asparagus, cucumbers and tomatoes are very tender vegetables with sweet fresh flavour, especially when cooked oriental style. To make Lemon Chicken, substitute cubes or strips of chicken breast for the shrimp.
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh asparagus
- 2 tablespoons water
- to taste salt
- 1 onion
- 2 slices fresh gingerroot
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- 1 seedless cucumber
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 lemon slices
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- to taste yellow food coloring (optional)
- Have all ingredients ready for stir-frying: Cut asparagus into 2-inch (5 cm) diagonal pieces; cut onion and tomatoes into wedges; cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch (6 mm) chunks; peel shrimp.
- Lemon Sauce: In saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, lemon juice and vinegar; bring to boil, stirring.
- Cook 1 or 2 minutes until thickened.
- Season to taste with salt, and add a few drops yellow food coloring if desired.
- Keep sauce warm while stir-frying.
- In large skillet or wok, heat 2 Tbsp (25 mL) oil.
- Add asparagus and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add water and sprinkle lightly with salt; cover and steam until asparagus is nearly tender, about 2 minutes.
- Remove asparagus and set aside. Drain skillet. Add remaining oil to skillet. Brown onion and ginger lightly; remove ginger.
- Add shrimp and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add cucumber, tomatoes and asparagus; cover and steam for 2 or 3 minutes just until tender-crisp.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in lemon sauce and lemon slices; bring to boil, stirring gently.
- Serve immediately.
The sauce was a little too sweet for my taste.