Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I like this idea of using a decorative pan to bake shortbread. This recipe came with the pan.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar, unsifted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup flour, unsifted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream butter until light.
- Cream in the powdered sugar and the grated lemon peel.
- Now work in the flour.
- Knead the dough on an unfloured board until nice and smooth.
- Spray the shortbread pan very lightly with a non-stick vegetable spray.
- Firmly press the dough into the shortbread pan.
- Prick the entire surface with a fork, and bake the shortbread right in the pan.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until very lightly browned.
- Let the shortbread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before you loosen the edges with a knife and flip the pan over onto a wooden cutting board.
- If the shortbread does not come right out, tap one edge of the pan.
- Cut the shortbread into serving pieces while it is still warm.
- Note: I usually leave it whole and wrap in plastic wrap and tie with ribbon or rafia for gifts.
I have tried to make this recipe using the metric quantities and ended up with a crumbly mess...you might want to re-calculatethe metric quantities. I had to add more butter just to bring the mixture together to be able to use it.