My favorite cookie to eat with tea. Pure comfort. Wonderful for gifts...if there are any left.
Make and share this Lemon Shortbread Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer.
- Scrape sides of the bowl.
- Add lemon juice, zest and flour and mix thoroughly on low speed.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into logs on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cookie spreads and is very light brown in color.
- Cookies may be dipped in soft lemon frosting or melted chocolate on one end.
- Chill to set chocolate or frosting.
Very nice cookie.. easy to make and tasty, too. Thanks for posting. I'm going to add it to my cookie file. I used the fresh lemon juice and the zest of one lemon. I left some of the cookies plain..and some of them I put 2 chocolate chips on the middle of the cookie as soon as they came out of the oven. Then when the chips melted I spread the chocolate down the middle.. It sure saved melting and dipping!
I like this recipie but I found the cookies were much better when I changed up some things. I would use 3 tsp lemon juice (extract or just zest don't have that needed acid note) an additional tsp vanilla and a 1/4 tsp nutmeg & salt to round out the flavor. I also rolled out the dough to 1/3 inch thick square and cut out the cookies. Make sure to space them out because the spread a bit more. A dusting of powdered sugar or lemon glaze is really required to make these cookies 5 star material.
My family and I really loved this recipe. I too increased the lemon zest as well as added a bit more lemon juice, a bit of lemon oil and even a bit of vanilla extract. They came out incredible; very lemony and the bit of vanilla extract gave them a...richer flavor. Definately something I will make over and over again. Thanks for posting!