Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My favorite cookie to eat with tea. Pure comfort. Wonderful for gifts...if there are any left.
Make and share this Lemon Shortbread Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer.
- Scrape sides of the bowl.
- Add lemon juice, zest and flour and mix thoroughly on low speed.
- Shape level tablespoons of dough into logs on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cookie spreads and is very light brown in color.
- Cookies may be dipped in soft lemon frosting or melted chocolate on one end.
- Chill to set chocolate or frosting.
Very nice cookie.. easy to make and tasty, too. Thanks for posting. I'm going to add it to my cookie file. I used the fresh lemon juice and the zest of one lemon. I left some of the cookies plain..and some of them I put 2 chocolate chips on the middle of the cookie as soon as they came out of the oven. Then when the chips melted I spread the chocolate down the middle.. It sure saved melting and dipping!
I like this recipie but I found the cookies were much better when I changed up some things. I would use 3 tsp lemon juice (extract or just zest don't have that needed acid note) an additional tsp vanilla and a 1/4 tsp nutmeg & salt to round out the flavor. I also rolled out the dough to 1/3 inch thick square and cut out the cookies. Make sure to space them out because the spread a bit more. A dusting of powdered sugar or lemon glaze is really required to make these cookies 5 star material.
My family and I really loved this recipe. I too increased the lemon zest as well as added a bit more lemon juice, a bit of lemon oil and even a bit of vanilla extract. They came out incredible; very lemony and the bit of vanilla extract gave them a...richer flavor. Definately something I will make over and over again. Thanks for posting!