1/1 Photo of Lemon Sesame Muffins (Vegan)
magpie diner's Note:
This is based on a recipe found on carnalvegan's blog, with a few adjustments and addition of a flax egg. You could use another flour such as unbleached all-purpose, or a combo. Whole wheat makes it a little more dense, but I'm OK with that and there is enough liquid to handle spelt if you wanted to sub that. You can adjust the sesame flavour as you like, basically it's 1/3 a cup of oil, a mix of canola & sesame. I make it with just 1 tbsp of sesame oil but you could go as much as 2 (any more than that would be overkill). Or take away some more oil and sub applesauce for a lighter version. This calls for a flax egg, sub with your favourite egg replacer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (ie organic sugar, evaporated cane juice, turbinado)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or other light oil....1/3 cup less 1 tbsp)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (or bump up to 2 tbsp, but take one more tbsp of canola away)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1Preheat oven to 350, line a muffin tin with liners or spray lightly.
- 2Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 3In a small bowl or meas. cup, add the apple cider vinegar to the almond milk and set aside.
- 4In another small bowl, mix the ground flax with the water, whisk for a minute then set aside.
- 5Whisk the rest of the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl then add in the almond milk mixture and the flax "egg" mixture.
- 6Add wet to the dry, mix well but do not whip or over mix.
- 7Pour into prepared muffin tin and sprinkle with sesame seeds and sugar.
- 8Bake for about 22-23 minutes.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Sesame Muffins (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (520 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.4
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 110.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: