Recipe by mollypaul
A brightly flavored scone recipe from the folks at Bob's Red Mill. Try them with the syrup of your choice or fresh fruit. Cooking time approximate. Specialty ingredients can be found at www.bobsredmill.com.
Top Review by UmmBinat
OK so we didnt like these. They didnt rise at all and were a bit dense.They seemed to turn golden in colour after 15 minutes of cooking but it could have been my oven. I used guar gum in replacement of xanthan gum because of a corn allergy. I'm not sure if my bean flour is considered white bean flour but I wouldnt want to use anything soy (soy beans are white). I did replace the butter with canola oil because of a dairy allergy. I will not be making these again.
- 1 cup white bean flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Sift first four ingredients together in a bowl; cut in butter with pastry blender.
- Mix the honey, eggs, grated lemon peel, lemon juice and water in another bowl.
- Add liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with fork.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 times.
- Pat dough into round shape 1" thick.
- Brush with lemon juice; sprinkle top with 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Cut into wedges and place edges onto ungreased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden.