** Poppy **'s Note:
The unusual flavoring for this cake is lemon zest. It is used in both the light, moist cake and the milk chocolate ganache and it delicately perfumes and complements both." Chocolate " by Nick Malgieri
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Lemony White Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemons, zest of
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup egg white (from about 4 large eggs)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
Milk Chocolate Ganache
- 1Two 9-inch round pans, 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep, buttered and lined with buttered parchment or wax paper Set a rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- 2Sift the cake flour, baking powder, and salt onto a piece of parchment or wax paper and set aside.
- 3Use an electric mixer set at medium speed to beat the butter and sugar until light, about 3 minutes.
- 4Beat in the lemon zest and extract.
- 5In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites and milk.
- 6Add a third of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
- 7Scrape down bowl and beaters.
- 8Beat in half the milk and egg white mixture until incorporated, then beat in another third of the flour mixture.
- 9Scrape bowl and beaters.
- 10Beat in remaining liquid until absorbed, followed by remaining flour mixture.
- 11Scrape well after each addition.
- 12Divide batter between prepared pans and smooth top evenly.
- 13Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, until well risen and a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.
- 14Cool layers in pans for 5 minutes, then invert to racks to cool.
- 15Peel off paper.
- 16If prepared in advance, double-wrap layers in plastic wrap and chill for up to several days or freeze.
- 17To make the ganache, place the pieces of zest in a saucepan and add the cream.
- 18Place over low heat and bring to a simmer.
- 19Remove from heat and allow to steep about 5 minutes.
- 20Remove zest from cream with a slotted spoon and discard them.
- 21Add butter to the cream and bring to a boil over low heat.
- 22Remove from heat and add chocolates.
- 23Shake pan to submerge chocolate and allow to stand 5 minutes.
- 24Whisk smooth, then cool to room temperature.
- 25Ganache will thicken to spreading consistency.
- 26To finish, put one layer right side up on a platter or cardboard.
- 27Place ganache in mixer bowl and beat until light, about 20 seconds.
- 28Using an offset spatula, spread the layer with about a third of the ganache.
- 29Place the other cake layer upside down on the ganache, so that the smooth bottom of the cake layer is uppermost.
- 30Spread the top and sides of the cake evenly with most of the remaining ganache, but save about 1/2 to 1/3 cup to pipe decorations on top of the cake.
- 31After smoothing the outside of cake, use a pastry bag fitted with a medium star tube, and pipe a series of rosettes around the top rim of the cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-scented white Cake with Milk Chocolate Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 703.8
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 99.3 mg
- Sodium 271.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 49.5 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of