Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is wonderful! Another Giada De Laurentis recipe, from Sicilian Summer. There is a cooling time of 30 minutes. We made some slight changes to the original as we were experimenting and they paid off! We enjoyed this Trifle immensely.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 store-bought poundcake, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup creme de cassis (or framboise liqueur, as we used raspberries)
- 2 cups quartered strawberries (or whole blueberries or whole raspberries, we used raspberries)
- toasted almond, chopped (garnish) (optional)
- whipped cream, flavored with framboise (garnish) (optional)
- fresh mint leaves, chopped (garnish) (optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar with the lemon juice.
- Cook until the sugar has dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cooled sugar mixture with the mascarpone cheese and the lemon zest.
- Now, add almonds, if using.
- Using an electric mixer, whip on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- To build the trifle, line the bottom of a trifle bowl with a layer pound cake.
- Brush the pound cake with some creme de cassis liqueur.
- Spoon a layer of the cheese mixture over the pound cake, and then a layer of berries.
- Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a top layer of berries.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chopped mint leaves &/or flavored whipped cream &/or almonds.