Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An incredibly easy vegan recipe with many options. It is a combination of carrots, navy beans and mushrooms served with a savory lemon sauce over the pasta of your choice. Sprinkle with Sesame Seeds and Flax Seeds for additional nutrients. Note: I used Smart Balance Vegan Butter which works wonderfully in all recipes requiring butter. I also recommend using a vegetable broth containing no MSG.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄8 cup celery, diced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, Portabella
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 15 1⁄2 ounces navy beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons Thai basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 ounces angel hair pasta, preferably wheat
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Also, bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add one tablespoon of the butter to the sauté pan along with the onions and celery stalk. Cook until the onions start to brown and add the carrots and mushrooms. Allow the carrots to cook for approximately 5 minutes until they are slightly soft. Add the garlic and vegetable broth and cover. Continue cooking for 5-7 minutes until the carrots are soft. By this time, the water should be boiling. Add the pasta.
- Add the Beans, remaining butter, lemon juice, basil, Thai basil and sugar to the pot. Allow to cook until the sauce has thickened which will take approximately 7-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with pasta. Sprinkle with flax seed and sesame seed, if desired.
This was surprisingly good and really easy to make.